Monday 4 March 2013

Canon 6D GPS Battery Drain Problems

Having had the Canon 6D for just over 2 months now I have been very happy with the camera and have now sold my Canon 5D Mark 2 as the Canon 6D is a more than competent replacement. The one aspect of the Canon 6D that is a problem is the GPS with firmware 1.1.2.

One of the reasons I bought the Canon 6D was to use the feature of being able to GPS tag my images. This works brilliantly on the 6D apart from one small problem, the GPS does not turn off when the camera is switched off so will run down the battery in a day or two.


Canon 6D GPS Battery Drain Problems
Canon 6D GPS Battery Drain Problems

Canon UK have replicated the problem and acknowledged that it is an issue. It has been reported to Canon HQ so I am hopefully that a firmware update will be forthcoming to resolve the GPS battery drain problems and allow use of the camera as intended.