Saturday 17 October 2009

Five Years of Digital : Canon 300D

It was five years ago to the day that I got my first digital SLR camera. The Canon 300D had been launched in 2003 as the first sub £1000 digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera and by 2004 I'd been getting increasingly frustrated with the scanning of slides from the film cameras I was using at the time.

So in Oct 2004 I bought the Canon 300D DLSR and switched to digital and haven't looked back. Although the  website had been running for some time, the company was established later on that year and the rest as they say is history!

The quality of the images from the Canon 300D was excellent and some are still in use on this website today. The shots of Rebecca Sarah were mainly shot on the Canon 300D. My previous foray into digital had been with a small compact the Nikon 775. I could see the potential for the format but also the restrictions of a 2Mp compact camera sensor and the associated noisy images beyond base ISO.

I kept the Canon 300D for about 6 months before upgrading to the Canon 20D in early 2005. The image quality for studio images was very little different but the Canon 20D had better low light performance and improved build quality. The pair of Canon 20Ds provided sterling service until replaced by the stunning Canon 5D when it was released.