Sunday 18 September 2011

Kodak Brownie Reflex 20, 620 Film Camera

My first camera was an old Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 Camera that I was given from a jumble sale. It took 620 film and produced square photos, unusual for a 10 year old compared to friends with their 110 cameras. I guess it was released in the 1950s due to the style of images on the box. The big difference was the quality of the photos though, the 110 photo were generally very poor as the negatives were so small but the photos from the Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 were pretty good due in part to the very large negatives. I searched high and low for a flash gun for the camera but without success. Eventually the camera got sold and I moved on to a Lubitel and Zenit TTL cameras.

A few years ago when I was in the States I spotted a Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 for sale on Ebay. I managed to aquire it for the princely sum of $5 and this one came fully boxed and with the flash gun.

The Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 is a twin lens reflex camera so unlike the current SLR cameras there is a separate lens for the viewfinder. The viewfinder is also on the top of the camera and you look down into it to compose the shot.

Photos of the Kodak Brownie Reflex 20

Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 Outfit in box

Kodak Brownie Reflex 20


Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 camera



Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 viewfinder
You can download the manual for the Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 as well as many other Kodak cameras on this website
http://www.brownie-camera.com/manuals.shtml