Thursday 16 June 2011

Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens for Studio Portraits

I recently sold my old mark 1 Canon 100mm macro lens circa 1990 and upgraded to the latest Canon 100mm f2.8 L Macro Lens with IS. Once the lens arrived I arranged an impromptu studio shoot with model Bethany to test the lens out and review how it compared to the other Canon lenses I use. I tested the Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens with my Canon 5D camera.
Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens Review


The lens is exceptionally fast to focus and is much lighter than the Canon 70-200 L2.8 IS which makes it more comfortable to use on a shoot. It does however have the fixed focal length which makes it less flexible and meant I needed to move around a lot more than I would with the 70-200 or my 24-105 lenses.
Studio portrait with Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens

Overall I was incredibly impressed with the Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens for a portrait shoot. The lens is very sharp, possibly the sharpest lens I own but it is also the latest technology so perhaps you would expect that performance on a digital camera.

Studio portrait with Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro Lens