Tuesday 28 June 2011

Pentax K to EOS Lens Converter (Use Pentax Lenses on Canon EOS Camera)

A lot of people ask how to use old Pentax K lenses on their Canon EOS camera. I bought a converter to allow Pentax K lenses to be used on my Canon EOS and have done the tests below using my Canon 550D SLR camera.

Pentax lenses can be picked up incredibly cheaply on Ebay or similar auction sites. Some have been available in the range of £10-£20 for a Pentax 28mm f2.8 lens as per the one I did these tests with.



The Pentax to Canon EOS adapter allows you to connect your Pentax K lens on your Canon EOS Camera. In this example I first added the adapter to my Pentax 28mm f2.8 lens and then fitted this to my Canon EOS 550D camera.
Pentax to EOS Lens converter
And then having fitted the Pentax K 28mm f2.8 lens to my Canon  EOS 550D I took a few sample photos. Remember that the Pentax lenses are manual focus and do not transmit any data from the lens to the camera so you have to operate the Canon 550D camera in totally manual settings as aperture cannot be set using the camera. Fortunately Pentax K lenses have aperture rings so you can adjust it manually.

Photo using Pentax K 28mm lens on Canon EOS 550D
You also have to focus the lens manually. This is a hassle for shooting stills but for video it makes very little difference as you need to manually focus anyway.

using Pentax K 28mm lens on Canon EOS 550D camera